Human growth hormone is the most crucial hormone which is needed for proper body growth and development. We all know that growth and development at a consistent rate is very important. However there are some problems which lead to deficiency of growth hormones as well. Among these, poor secretion of HGH from the pituitary gland is one of the major reasons of growth related disorders. There are some diagnosis methods which are used and Arginine test is one of them.
What is the Arginine Test All About?
Arginine test is a clear indicator of whether pituitary gland is working properly for producing human growth hormone or not. The test confirms working health of the gland.
- First of all, a baseline for somatomedin-C and HGH levels is established by the physician. This baseline helps as the scale for diagnosis.
- Then blood from the person to be tested is drawn 5 times in a period of 60 minutes which is usually between 6 am to 8 am.
- Person is injected with Arginine at a 30 minute interval and the dosage of injection is determined by the body weight of the person.
- Finally after 30 minutes a GHRH injection is given to the patient.
If there is no increase in the levels of HGH after this stimulation test then patient has HGH deficiency and his/her pituitary gland is not working properly. Some other tests can also be advised to rule out any other possibility.
Patients should keep some points in mind when preparing for this test. First of all do not eat anything for 12 hours before the test as it can affect the results. Do not get into much physical activity for same period either. Also, if you are taking any kind of medication, stop its use but only with proper consultation with your doctor.
If the production of HGH is within normal values then your pituitary gland is working properly. The normal values are as follows:
Normal Value for Test
- Normal peak value — at least 10 ng/mL
- Indeterminate — 5 – 10 ng/mL
- Subnormal — 5 ng/mL
In case you are diagnosed with HGH deficiency, then you will be advised according to your condition. HGH deficiency can be easily treated and you need to worry about abnormal results.
Making use of best HGH supplements is the right way to deal with deficiency of growth hormones but only on proper advice of the physician.